Be fully present, develop awareness and powerful states of being.
Meditation is a mental discipline to help you get beyond reactive thinking and into a deeper state of relaxation and awareness. It is not a way of making your mind quiet, but a way of entering into the quiet that is already there (buried under the 50,000 thoughts the average person thinks every day.)
HOW TO MEDITATE
- Set aside a time in your day where you can sit comfortably and won’t be distracted or disturbed.
- Find a comfortable but attentive seated position, close your eyes and bring your attention to your breathing.
- Place one hand on your belly to start.
- With the mouth closed, breathe in gently and smoothly through the nose for six seconds.
- Feel your belly expand like a balloon as you breathe in.
- Breathe out just as gently and smoothly for six seconds. Feel your belly contract.
- Continue to breathe gently and evenly at an even pace and relax your hand from your belly.
- As you breathe in, imagine that each breath is uplifting peace and joy from your heart to the top of your head. Smile as you do this.
- As you breathe out, imagine your breath going down from your head to your heart and into your belly taking with it a calm stillness.
- Breathe in uplifting peace (up the body), breathe out calm (down through the body.)
- Continue this pattern for five to ten minutes. Then just sit there with your eyes closed and notice how you feel.
- Reflect in your journal any insights or learning.