Wouldn’t it be a relief to be able to switch off and totally relax at will? Not many of us can do that and it’s no wonder with everything we have going on in our lives. Jobs, kids, companies to run, bodies to keep in shape, meals to plan, families to support.
We have to be superhuman to keep on top of everything and keep our minds calm at the same time. Very few of us have mastered this and it takes a lot of practice and determination. A busy mind with constant chatter keeps us tense and unable to fully live with joy and ease. Wouldn’t it be nice to stop the mind chatter and feel calm and peaceful?
For those of you who don’t have time for hours of daily spiritual practices here are 10 easy, achievable, and quick tips to help you stay present:
1: Get outside in nature and use your senses: What can you hear, smell, feel, taste, see? Really look at the beauty and contrast around you and be present with it all. Touch the trees, sit on the grass, look up at the sky. This will help your focus and keep your attention on what is right in front of you.
2. Instruct your mind to be quiet! Focus on feeling into your heart – place your hand on the centre of your chest (your spiritual heart chakra) and take some deep breaths whilst focussing on that area. Visualise it expanding and softening. Do this for 5-10 minutes.
3. Listen to some peaceful, soothing music in a candlelit room or bath (be aware of putting your candles in a safe place where they won’t catch anything on fire) and let yourself really feel into the music. Close your eyes and breathe slowly.
4. Focus on helping others in need. There is always someone worse off than you and hearing about other people’s problems tends to make ours seem pretty minor in comparison. People need our help – whether that’s a charity event, friends, family or people we don’t know.
5. Write a list of 10-20 things you are grateful for right now and really take the time to focus on them. Smile inside and out and give your gratitude list recognition.
6. Find a local Breathwork Group. Conscious breathing helps to get us out of the mind and into the body and feel clearer and calmer. It also helps to clear stuck energy, thoughts and old trauma – perfect if you need to heal and can’t get that memory out of your head. (Leamington Breathwork
Group – if you’re local we are on facebook)
7. Read a good book – I personally struggle to make the time to read and so have been booking time out in my diary or listening to audible when I’m in the car or traveling. Reading helps us to relax and get away from our thoughts while we are focussing on what we are reading instead.
8. Go for relaxing massages or reflexology regularly. At first, you may not be able to switch off if you are very stressed, but after a few sessions, it will get easier.
9. Take up daily yoga sessions – ideally with an experienced teacher, however, if that is not possible you can find many good youtube videos and some are as short as 10 minutes which can be easily fitted into your daily schedule.
10. Ground yourself – if sitting outside or walking on a beach or, where possible, walk on the earth barefoot – this will give you incredible ‘earthing’ benefits and also feels really good. When we destress and feel good it’s easier to be less caught up in our head. Take a look at this article for more.